International Women’s Day is celebrated annually on March 8. Adopted by the United Nations in 1975, it commemorates the movement for women’s rights. Here are 12 interesting facts about women in honor of the occasion:
1. The two highest IQ scores in recorded history belong to women.
2. A woman will more easily trust somebody who hugs her for at least 15 seconds!
3. The longest human pregnancy on record was a woman from Los Angeles named Beulah Hunter. She gave birth in 1945 after carrying her baby for 375 days — a full three months longer than normal. But it was in the days before ultra-sound, so it may just be a case of miscalculation.
4. The woman who underwent the world’s first successful womb transplant became pregnant in 2013.
5. The first computer programmer was a woman. Ada Lovelace.
6. In 2017, Taylor Swift won a landmark lawsuit in which she sued a radio host who groped her bum for just $1. Taylor said she sought to make a public point that women should not have to endure unwanted physical contact.
7. In Russia, there are nine million more women than men.
8. In 2017, Wonder Woman was the first superhero film starring a female lead. It’s also the highest grossing film to have been directed by a woman.
9. Women live longer than men, partially because their immune systems age slower.
10. Women make better leaders than men. Research has concluded that female-led companies are more successful than ones led by males. A poll found that the public agrees–women make fairer, more compassionate and more trustworthy leaders than men do. A Canadian study also concluded that women make better doctors. It said female medics are much more likely than men to adhere to guidelines and to prescribe the right drugs.
This is a time to celebrate and appreciate the women in your life by creating or buying them women-inspired gifts on suvenia. Click the link below to view the store and be sure to place an order today!