Plantain or Dodo as it is commonly called, is one of the most popular foods in Nigeria. It can be eaten unripe, ripe or over-ripe. It can also be fried, boiled/cooked, or roasted/grilled.
You can hardly find a Nigerian that doesn’t like plantain but not everyone knows the nutritional values of plantain.
Here is a list of 7 nutritional benefits of plantain:
1. Plantains contain a high amount of dietary fibre which helps ensure healthy bowels and reduces constipation.
2. Plantains have more vitamin C than bananas. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin-C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen-free radicals.
3. Plantains are famed to be diuretic and can help prevent kidney and bladder problems.
4. Plantains ease the discomfort associated with the menstrual period.
5. Plantains also contain folates, niacin, riboflavin and thiamin. Folates (folic acid) are essential for healthy pregnancy.
6. Plantains have more vitamin A than bananas. In addition to being a powerful antioxidant, vitamin A plays a vital role in the visual cycle, maintaining healthy mucus membranes, and enhancing skin complexion.
7. Plantains also provide adequate levels of minerals such as iron, magnesium, and phosphorous. Magnesium is essential for bone strengthening and has a cardiac-protective role as well.
For all the plantain lovers out there, you can wear your mark to show you are a plantain lover. We at Suvenia.com have beautiful designs and merchandise on our platform.
Visit our website https://www.suvenia.com/store/dodogang to check out the store and make sure to place an order today